Health Foundry Blog
A delicious winter vegetable tagine, well rounded in flavour and wholesome and filling. Savoury, spicy, with pops of sweetness from the fruit and crunch from the nuts. Enjoyable on its own as an accompanying dish, this recipe is a great way to use those winter vegetables.
Time: 20 mins
- 1 cups canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cups butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/3 cup dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds, toasted
- 4 pitted dates
- 1 onions, thinly sliced
- ½ large carrots, peeled, cut into 8cm lengths
- ½ large parsnip, peeled, cut into 8cm lengths
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or coriander
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 scoop Turmeric Active
- 1 cinnamon quills
- Vegetable liquid stock or water, to cover
- Harissa, to serve (optional)
- Couscous, to serve
- Add onion to cooking pot with oil and microwave for 2 minutes, stir and cook again for 1 minutes or until softened.
- Remove cooking pot with onions and add carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, tomato paste, cayenne, ginger, Turmeric Active and cinnamon quills. Pour in enough vegetable stock or water to just cover and stir to mix.
- Cover and return to microwave. Cook on medium for 5 minutes. Remove lid and gently stir. Return to microwave and repeat the process.
- Remove cooking pot and add the chickpeas, apricots, dates, and honey. Season, stir and then return to microwave on medium for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the mixture is thick and soupy.
- Scatter with herbs and almonds. Serve with harissa and couscous, if desired.