Health Foundry Blog
Another Asian inspired dish that focusses more on the soup and chicken part as the core parts of this recipe. A somewhat involved dish to create but the rewards is a truly delicious meal. Enjoy as a soup, serve with rice or go traditional and top with fried noodles, it all tastes great.
Time: 30 mins
Khao Soi Paste
- 2 large dried chilis, stemmed, halved, seeded
- 1 medium shallots, halved
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, sliced
- 2 heaped tablespoons chopped coriander stems
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ scoop Turmeric Active
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 boneless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise
- 1 packet Chinese egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon (or more) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or light brown sugar
- Sliced red onion, bean sprouts, coriander sprigs, crispy fried onions or shallots, chili oil, and lime wedges (for serving)
Khao Soi paste
- Place chilis in a bowl, add boiling water to cover, and let soak until softened, 10-15 minutes. Drain chilis, reserving soaking liquid.
- Purée chilis, shallots, garlic, ginger, coriander stems, coriander, Turmeric Active, curry powder, and 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid in a food processor, adding more soaking liquid by tablespoons if needed, until smooth.
- Add Khao Soi paste and oil in cooking pot; cook in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stock, cook in microwave for 2 mins.
- Add chicken. Cover and cook on Medium heat (50%) for 14-16 minutes or until juice of chicken and the thickest pieces are no longer pink. Remove chicken thighs, set aside and let cool.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Let cool slightly; shred meat.
- Cook noodles according to package directions in the remaining soup (approx. 2 minutes).
- Add shredded chicken, fish sauce, and sugar to soup. Season with salt or more fish sauce, if needed.
- Combine and cook in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Divide soup and noodles among bowls and serve with toppings. Enjoy.